The Mission Ministry shall seek to strengthen and support congregations in their mission to their communities and to the world, and to assist in coordinating mission opportunities within the Presbytery.
Chair: Rev. David Crawford, Teaching Elder
The Mission Ministry shall seek to strengthen and support congregations in their mission to their communities and to the world, and to assist in coordinating mission opportunities within the Presbytery. To that end, the ministry:
Shall endeavor to ascertain what mission is happening in and through the congregations of the Presbytery and help to communicate that information and opportunities for service throughout the Presbytery.
- Shall respond to resources and training for congregations to educate and inform them about mission opportunities within the local community and worldwide.
- Shall strive to connect congregations within the Presbytery who may have common mission interests and goals.
- Shall promote and inform congregations of denominational special offerings and programs for mission. May coordinate mission initiatives within or beyond the Presbytery, in particular in times of disaster and difficulty, so that the particular contributions of the Presbytery’s congregations can more efficiently be distributed and then reported and shared throughout the Presbytery.
- Shall support the congregations of the Presbytery and their mission work by offering a wide variety of resources and channeling resources of the Synod and the General Assembly to local congregations.
- Shall be responsible for supporting the work of congregations and the Presbytery as they witness to the love of Jesus Christ by feeding the hungry, sheltering the poor and homeless, welcoming the stranger, encouraging the care and protection of God’s creation, and promoting social justice.
Resources for Mission Ministry
Mission Grant Applications
Completed grant applications are due October 15, 2019. Applications can be mailed or emailed to:
Presbytery of Transylvania, P.O. Box 23580, Lexington, KY 40523 Fax: 859-264-8869 Email: [email protected]
Hunger Grant Application
Congregations in Transylvania Presbytery are actively engaged in combating hunger in their communities by running food banks, providing hot meals, filling back packs and creating other programs to help those in their communities whose resources are not adequate to ensure enough food. Hunger Grants can transform hunger offerings into action when awarded to supplement the congregational funds dedicated to running hunger programs.
Peacemaking Grant Application
The Presbyterian Church recognizes that the church is faithful to Christ when it engages in peacemaking. On World Communion Sunday in October a peace and global witness offering is received in most Presbyterian churches. The offering supports efforts to promote peace by individuals, congregations, presbyteries, synods and PCUSA at home and around the world.